Your application will be reviewed by the lessee selection committee and ranked according to the following criteria. The committee will then make recommendations to the board. VCLT members can view the entire lessee selection policy in VCLT's Policies & Procedures Manual. Login to the members only area at vclt.org or contact us for a copy.
**Highly Desirable Criterion
– The following criterion established by the board as highly desirable has a fixed maximum point value for any and all offered leaseholds:
VCLT involvement – up to 30 points
- Recent, constructive, consistent participation on a committee, the board, or as a dedicated volunteer – preferably for at least a year.
– The following lessee criteria have been prioritized by the selection committee for the new leaseholds in Colrain by distributing 70 points among them (not counting the leasehold residency bonus).
How long they have been on the potential lessee list - up to 25 points
- Since this is a new acquisition and there are no major land use factors or house-related factors, tenure as an active potential lessee is a good neutral criterion.
- The most points will be awarded for the oldest application with continuous active membership.
How well they fit with leasehold (land use plans, household size, special needs, compatibility with neighboring lessees) up to 20 points overall
The most significant leasehold features are the three bedroom house (which needs some work), the common forest land, the sugar bush, our hope to have 3 leaseholds on this land, the proximity to Colrain II and the proximity to Greenfield. So we will be looking for:
- Household size:
- 4+ or 3 with plans for home business if they want to live in the existing farmhouse
- No priority for household size for the open land leaseholds
- Plans for managing the woods
- Plans for managing the sugar bush
- Interest in neighborhood building and/or community living
- Construction skills or other ability to provide sweat equity in the creation of affordable housing
Level of financial and/or housing need up to 10 points
- The house is moderately affordable
History of local residency, local community involvement and/or community involvement in other communities up to 10 points
Attendance at a home ownership class within the last five years up to 5 points